Tuesday, August 16, 2016

1963 Hairdo How-To

First off, I intended on making this a quick in-between-posts post, but like anything worth doing, it is worth doing well. Err, at least well enough. Here you go!

I recently scored a handful of magazines from the 1950's & 1960's from my local used and rare book store, and let me tell you... I am having a hoot of a time reading through them! They are chock-full of interesting articles, advertisements, and tidbits-- one of which I'd like to share with you today.

It is an article from a magazine called "American Girl"-- not to be confused with the American Girl brand we all know and love/hate today. Upon a fair amount of oggling (that's my universal word for "Googling", as not everyone uses the same search engine, though it has become synonymous with searching the web. I think it's fair treatment of the term), I came upon very few references and resources to the publication.  But I think it makes it all the more appealing and fun to own these gems.

At first I didn't realize that it was an official publication of Girl Scouts of the USA. I just noticed that it was clean cut, simple, and to-the-point. For Example:



No cigarette ads, alcohol ads, get skinny/rich/smart quick ads, and it obviously has a younger target audience. It is quite refreshing, actually. I remember trying to get into Girl Scouts around 7 or 8 years old, but there must not have been much of a response from my area because it never happened. That, or my mom forgot about couldn't afford it. I *was* already involved in a few other extra curricular activities at the time, and so were my other 4 siblings, so I guess I understand! (My poor mother.) Finding and enjoying these magazines appeals to me in so many ways, and I plan on sharing more nuggets such as this.

And so without further ado, here is a nugget from the March 1963 issue. It is alluded to on the cover as "ways to keep your hairdo lovely longer. . ."

"...when they're pressed for time-- either cramming for an exam or partying or babysitting-- one well-planned hair setting can do away with most of the roller ritual for the week."

"...a smart girl coaxes her hair into a couple of free-flowing variations of the original hairdo... That way she knows she can go anywhere, looking her best, all week long."

It is a regular feature and comes complete with a curler setting diagram in the back:


I saw this and at once thought "I need to share this, then I need to try it!" Now, I am no stranger to curler sets, but lately I have been actually practicing quite a lot, even when I don't plan on going out. My hair is so indescribably thick that I've been needing to hone the talent just to be able to get my hair presentable enough when I actually do go out.

I also think it's fitting that my Mother's name is Debbie and my husband's mom's name is Karen. Quite cute in my book ;-)

-----> Click the photos above to save a hi-res image individually, or save a .pdf version here (via DropBox)

Enjoy, and happy rolling/curling/back combing/hairdo saving!


No comments:

Post a Comment