Friday, November 18, 2016

The Only Post You'll Need for a Vintage Thanksgiving Spread!

Preface:
I was going to post this much sooner than now, but life has a way of happening, does it not? Long story short, exactly 2 months ago today, I got sick after eating breakfast one morning and continued to get violently ill after eating anything. It didn't seem to matter what it was. I went gluten and dairy free, which only seemed to lessen the severity. I've had a few tests done, and they all came back completely normal. I am still implementing gluten/dairy free, and scaling back on the alcohol consumption-- like WAY back-- so now I'm back at the point that I can live my life relatively uninterrupted again. Just in time for Thanksgiving, huzzah!

So I guess I'll just get right to it!
(Feel free to save each image or download a single .pdf at the end of the post.)

So, you want a vintage Thanksgiving, you say? Well, look no further! Here I give you everything you need to make it an authentic one. From dinner, dessert and table settings, to hair styles and party etiquette. What more can a well-informed hostess need???

We'll start with a few tantalizing turkey recipes from the November 1964 issue of American Girl Magazine.


The recipes here are intended for the teen to participate in the cooking and presenting of Thanksgiving food, so as to not have such a big turkey or recipe(s) to make that it becomes overwhelming:
I may try my hand at a small fried turkey one of these years...

You had me at "Turkey Jambalaya"!

(I planned on trying a few of them to include in this post, but alas, my life is currently being ruled by my gut. At this point I'm learning how to make substitutions to still be able to try out vintage recipes such as these.)

Going back a few years, here are some mouthwatering pumpkin recipes from American Girl Magazine, November 1962. Too bad they didn't have hashtags then 😁
Your one-stop issue for all things party!

With the exception of the pumpkin soup, these recipes are all pretty much desserts! And tbh, it's taking everything I've got in me to not make every single one, like, right now.
The pumpkin soup sounds particularly delicious on this cold clear windy day we're having!

Pumpkin Pudding?? Yes, please!

The Lemon Cream Frosting could be good on all kinds of things!

Alright! Now, where are we at in this party planning list?

      ✔ Dinner
      
      ✔ Sides                    
   
      ✔ Desserts            
  • Table Settings? Let's take a look!


"It's your turn to do the entertaining. And with the holidays just ahead, you want your party to be more than the usual snack-together affair.... you'll want to greet your guests with some table-top magic-- to keep party spirits high and boost your rating as a hostess."
"...the 'right' mood always reflects a friendly hospitality, where the ease and comfort of your guests is first on the menu."

("Powwow buffet"? Nah, not racist AT all... 😨)

(I left the ads in this one because sometimes they're just too fun!)

"...a tempting table setting always tells a guest: 'This is extra-special because you are' --and proves you're a hostess in the know."


At this point, the planning for everything is done-- except for yourself! All of your hard work and best efforts will be wasted if you aren't just as presentable and delicious as everything else, so do not neglect this very important aspect of party planning! So often we put others first and we forget that we are just as important-- if not more so!


Here are a few simple, yet effective, hairdos for the festive day:
"The prettiest and the most effective hairdo, especially at a party, is always the simple one-- clean, shiny, and accented with bows, a bit of ribbon, or an ornament."



And while you're under the dryer to let your curls set, you think it's a good idea to brush up on your party etiquette. Being a good hostess doesn't just end at the food and decorations, and how you present yourself, but also in your ability to put yourself and others at ease:
"Just remember that no one is born with the knack of being a charming guest or hostess. Like tennis, party talk takes practice."

"Never fret about not being the star of the show. Sometimes it's better to be a good audience."

"Party talk should be light and impersonal. It's a time to share your interests-- not your personal agonies."

"With practice, you will hold your own-- and someday soon you may even find that small talk is one of your favorite party games!"

I hope this "guide" for a vintage Thanksgiving has helped, let me know what you think in the comments either here or my Facebook page!

---------> Download a single pdf of just the images HERE

I will leave you with tunes to make your preparations by, because for me Thanksgiving is the official start of Christmas music!
(via Pandora)


Thanks for stopping by, Happy Thanksgiving-- and good luck!





No comments:

Post a Comment